About the man

grey outlineEddie Stovis. His grandfather Victor Edward Stosokorovich came to England in 1941 following the alignment of Hungary with the Axis powers and what he saw as the Nazi invasion of his homeland.Victor served with distinction during the war with the newly formed Airborne Brigade. At the end of the war, he settled in the Midlands where he met and married his wife Mary and anglicised his name to Stovis.

Edward Victor Stovis was born June 1st, 1969 in the industrial West Midlands an only child. Eddies’ father was focussed more on his engineering business and making money rather than spending time with the young Eddie. A constant source of friction between his parents.

By the time, he was ten his mother had already suffered several depressive episodes and began to bolster her existence with prescription medication and alcohol. He could only watch as the gap in his parent’s relationship continued to grow wider, and despite Eddie’s best efforts his mother continually turned to alcohol for companionship.

It was in 1982 that a young Eddie watched the parachute regiment soldiers during the defence of the Falkland Islands. Fascinated by the news reports of their triumphs and ultimate victory on TV that reminded him of his grandfather who had died three years earlier.

Seeking to escape the carnage of his parent’s marriage, he joined the army cadets, this became pivotal in his development, as he displayed a natural aptitude for military life.

He left school at sixteen years of age, wanting to take control of his life and future, finding employment in one of the local factories on the shop floor, much to the annoyance of his father who had been grooming him to take over the family engineering business. But Eddie was just ticking over until he was eighteen and could sign on for military service. Thirteen months passed between Eddie leaving school and his mother committing suicide.

Eddie had returned home from work one evening to find her dead in an armchair; she had consumed all her medication and most of a bottle of vodka.
Two days before her funeral, he walked into an Army recruiting office with her signature forged on his recruitment documents, six weeks later in the September of 1986 he was in the army.
24 years later he was honourably discharged from the Parachute Regiment after being wounded in Afghanistan. He is living in semi-retirement aboard his boat ‘Bellerophon’.